What I’d love to talk about (the sweet spot)
I’d love to share stories about the flourishing of earth and humanity. Stories of how humans look after earth and each other.
What I am going to talk about (new – local)
In all the attention international news are drawing, I realised it is important to keep an eye on my neighbourhood. My immediate environment. How do I want to see flourishing of earth and humanity here? How do I want us to look after earth and each other locally?
And, of course …. more on polarisation
On thread of yesterday’s news from the US was around more (and armed) attacks on the Capitol and Government buildings in all 50 States allegedly being planned. [Source: Daily Mail]
Some thoughts that come to mind:
- If roughly half of the United States voted for Trump, how will that half perceive the attacks?
- If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. [Mark 3:24-25]
- Excluding opinions from the forum of discourse drives division. Instead of permanent bans, permitting a return under certain conditions would be preferable. Things like acknowledgement that there is an objective truth, respect and denouncement of violence maybe?
- All sorts of views are coming out of the shadows into the light. These views and ideas have been fermenting for many years. Maybe now is the time to actually engage with them and provide a safe space for doing so. Televised debates? Maybe, but it all begins with families, friends and neighbours. How can they engage with divisive topics without fracturing their connection?
- What may be fringe views now, may well be mainstream in the future.
- And finally, how can we use the energy that it takes to fight each other to actually face the big challenges humanity is hurtling towards? Doesn’t anyone want to see the brick wall?